Historic Tredegar, home to The American Civil War Center, traces its roots to 1836, when Francis B. Deane founded Tredegar Iron Works. He named his Richmond plant for a Welsh town and iron works. In 1841 Deane hired Joseph Reid Anderson as commercial sales agent. Under Joseph Reid Anderson’s ownership, Tredegar manufactured an array of items including locomotives, train wheels, spikes, cables, ships, boilers, naval hardware, iron machinery and brass items.
The design of the home that became the White House of the Confederacy is attributed to Robert Mills, designer of the Washington Monument, and Thomas Jefferson’s only architecture student.
Construction began in 1816 and was completed in 1818 for Dr. John Brockenbrough. Lewis D. Crenshaw, the last person to own the house, bought it just prior to the Civil War. Mr. Crenshaw added a third floor on the house “...in the latest style.” He sold the house and its furnishings to the City of Richmond, which then leased it to the Confederate government to be used as the executive mansion when the capital moved from Montgomery, Alabama, to Richmond in May, 1861.
Opened in 2012, The Museum of the Confederacy-Appomattox tells the stories of the closing days of the Civil War, and the beginnings of our country’s journey toward reuniting as Americans.
The Museum of the Confederacy-Appomattox is situated on eight acres of land and the building itself contains 11,700 square feet of space including approximately 5,000 square feet for exhibits and a 1,000 square foot multi-purpose room which will accommodate 70 people and is used for educational programming, lectures, and school and adult group meetings. The building is available for facility rental for private events. The structure also contains a shop.